Friday, July 20, 2007

I see straight people!

I feel like the kid in the movie "The Sixth Sense" when people ask me if I see straight people in my practice. They ask because I am an out gay psychotherapist and wonder if I can translate my work toward straight people.

I understand their thinking as gays and lesbians as well as those in 12-step recovery programs ask therapists if they are gay or in recovery for their need to know the therapist knows something about their situation.

My practice has always been--and still is--65% heterosexual. The reason is that I specialize in imago therapy, sexual addiction, sexual abuse and over time receive heterosexual referrals from clients.

I also receive referrals of straight male clients who want to address sexual issues and feel that because I am gay I will understand. While I do understand sexual issues it is dangerous to believe it is only because I am gay.

There are plenty of unqualified gay therapists who say they be of help and are inadequate. While I have had to address my own sexuality more closely because of my homosexuality, my expertise with sexual issues comes from my professional training.

So, yes I see straight people and welcome any and all referrals.

No comments: