Friday, July 20, 2007

In Memoriam: Maud Cramer-Kort 1995-2007


I received more than 100 emails from people after I emailed out the death of my dog Maud. I was touched and delighted that so many people felt the desire to send me sympathies. I received pictures of peoples dogs, stories and even the dogs themselves typed me email sending their condolences. That was one of my favorite emails!
I just learned that Oprah lost her 2-year-old dog to a choking accident. It touched my grief about my beloved dog, Maud, who died suddenly of a heart attack June 30, 2007. I wrote an article about it called, "And Then There's Maud"


And Then There's Maud!
Terriers and the People They Own
by Joe Kort, MSW

©2007 All rights reserved.

Have you ever heard of a dog that gives you the middle finger, snubs you when you call, believes that you exist to please her and that she doesn’t have to please you (unless she feels like it)—and channels the worst parts of your mother to boot? A dog that intentionally tries to trip you when you walk downstairs and in the middle of all of your hard work, intentionally shuts off your computer by sitting on the outlet? A dog that laughed at you when you yelled and screamed for obedience? Well that was my dog, Maud, who owned my partner and me for 12 years.
In August, 1995 my partner, Mike, and I purchased a Welsh terrier. At the time, we’d been together for two years and lived together for seven months. As we were nesting, we thought a dog would be a good way to start a family together. Mike is allergic to dogs with dander, so we had to stick with breeds that have no dander, and terriers were one of those.

No comments: